cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custom Connector - Custom Auth

gquigley
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

I'm realtively new to Workato and trying to write a custom connector for an application we support. The API has an...interesting authentication approach for user scoped calls. It requires the user ID to be in the token request body but it's not true OAuth or any other standard protocol. Is there a way to make the user ID for custom auth connectors pull from an input field of a given action? So user ID would come from a data pill from a previous step in the recipe and my connector would use that value as the user ID when authenticating. Apologize if this is an easy approach or I missed it somewhere in the docs.

3 REPLIES 3

weizhuang-tan
Workato employee
Workato employee

I'm guessing the User ID can be retrieved from your app profile URL (app.com/123) and therefore be used for authentication?

If so, you'd have to open up a User ID field in your connection input block, and apply the User ID downstream for subsequent calls - if necessary, including your authentication/token request.

Extracting something from your actions (endpoint calls) for authentication doesn't really make sense since the apps shouldn't even allow you to make any calls without first being authenticated.

jessica-lie
Workato employee
Workato employee

Greg Quigley Hi there, tagging you here in case you missed this solution, hope it helps!

gquigley
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Thanks for the reminder Jessica Lie, I did see the response and was testing some of the recommendations but forgot to respond.

Weizhuang Tan thanks for the recommendation, I'm attempting to open a new field in my connection block which is then updated in an action. The user scoped error message is then caught in my retry_on block. I haven't been able to get it working just yet but it looks promising. My initial authentication, to use the connection, is via an admin scoped call so I have that covered. Thanks!