cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Developing a recipe with recursive looping

jmcvicker
Deputy Chef II
Deputy Chef II

I am developing a recipe to look through for files and folders on Google Drive that contain a particular string in the name. As you might imagine, I need to develop a recursive loop to get into all of the nested folders. I created a parent recipe to kick off the process, which calls a recipe function (A) to look into the root level folder's files and subfolder names. Then I cloned that recipe, and called the clone (B) from the first recipe function (A). However, when I try to call recipe function A from recipe function B, I am getting an error:

Recursive invocation detected

I've tried creating even a second clone, in case the recursion was only detected if calling a recipe that was the calling recipe of the current recipe (yikes! brain spaghetti), but that did not solve the problem.

Has anyone identified a way to recursive travel down a folder structure without a pre-defined number of levels?

Jen McVicker
CSP-SM, CSP-PO, SAFe 5 SPC, ICA-AC, ICA-ATF, Automation Pro II
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Unfortunately the clone-twice/delete linkage didn't work to resolve my issue. For anyone else who tries to do this in the future, I'll outline how I got around it here:

• Create a lookup table with 5 columns: folder_name, folder_id, folder_level, logged, rename_check
  • Populate the first row of the lookup table with the root folder info: name, id, level = 1, logged = 0, rename_check = 0
  • Create a scheduled recipe to run every 5 minutes. Recipe actions:
    • Search entries in the lookup table for records where logged = 0
    • Do a repeat loop for each result found in the lookup table. In that repeat loop: 
      • Search for folders in google drive. If list size of the results > 0, batch-add the subfolders to the lookup table, setting level = level of the current folder plus one, logged = 0, rename_check = 0
      • Update the current folder record, setting logged = 1
      • If the folder name contains the string we're looking to replace, rename the folder
      • Whether or not the folder was renamed, set rename_check = 1
    • End repeat loop
  • End recipe
  • Finally, create a separate recipe to loop through all the folders in the lookup table, searching for filenames within each folder that contains the string we want to replace
Jen McVicker

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

Good morning Jen,

I believe that's a limitation of Recipe Functions to prevent infinite loops.  Is there a way you can accomplish what you want using a Repeat block instead?  I haven't used the Google Drive connector so I'm not familiar with it, but it might be an option, albeit imperfect.

Another longshot might be if the Recursive error is being thrown b/c Workato sees them as dependencies.  When you clone a recipe, the new one is "linked" to the parent recipe.  If you clone it a 2nd time, so your original is A, first clone is B, and 2nd clone is C, then delete recipe B, now C and A will be independent of one another.  You could try that too in case that link is the problem.

Unfortunately the clone-twice/delete linkage didn't work to resolve my issue. For anyone else who tries to do this in the future, I'll outline how I got around it here:

• Create a lookup table with 5 columns: folder_name, folder_id, folder_level, logged, rename_check
  • Populate the first row of the lookup table with the root folder info: name, id, level = 1, logged = 0, rename_check = 0
  • Create a scheduled recipe to run every 5 minutes. Recipe actions:
    • Search entries in the lookup table for records where logged = 0
    • Do a repeat loop for each result found in the lookup table. In that repeat loop: 
      • Search for folders in google drive. If list size of the results > 0, batch-add the subfolders to the lookup table, setting level = level of the current folder plus one, logged = 0, rename_check = 0
      • Update the current folder record, setting logged = 1
      • If the folder name contains the string we're looking to replace, rename the folder
      • Whether or not the folder was renamed, set rename_check = 1
    • End repeat loop
  • End recipe
  • Finally, create a separate recipe to loop through all the folders in the lookup table, searching for filenames within each folder that contains the string we want to replace
Jen McVicker