cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recipe Documentation

brian-haskins
Deputy Chef III
Deputy Chef III

I need to document how recipes function in Workato into Confluence. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they handle the documentation on how their recipe works for external systems? This is done for groups who do not have access to Workato to view what happens in their Recipes or approval through a Change Board when we build out a new process.

The two thoughts I had was taking screenshots and putting them in the Confluence Article or using a Flow chart and copy and paste the comments through each step of the recipe.

10 REPLIES 10

michael-siegel
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

sorry to add to the followers count, but following. ๐Ÿ™‚ great question!

jmcvicker
Deputy Chef II
Deputy Chef II

Following. I've been manually documenting in Confluence with screenshots & code snippets, but automating the documentation of an automation script feels like it _should_ be doable.

Jen McVicker
CSP-SM, CSP-PO, SAFe 5 SPC, ICA-AC, ICA-ATF, Automation Pro II

jyothilg
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Self documenting within workato has been great , but agree extract the documentation for those without workato access would be very helpful. will check out the RecipeOps connector and Workato APIs and see if this satisfies the need.

steven-marissen
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

Personally I would not bother documenting recipes themselves too much. I would rather extract the process from that and put that into BPMN.

Because Workato has to tie into other applications's processes, which will tell you the whole story not just a part from it. Has the most value in my opinion, how the entire clock works.

Working event based also helps a lot, makes it easy to document what your input is (manatory, optional, format,...) and output.

brian-haskins
Deputy Chef III
Deputy Chef III

I did some digging and might be able to achieve something with the JSON of the export manifest with Recipe Lifecycle Management.

My thought was putting parsing out the JSON into a database (Snowflake) and then using some visualization around it. Not sure exactly how to achieve it fully but I think. Theres probably also a tool that would take the JSON and make a diagram out of it.