cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slack actions failing for private channels

jeff-sutton
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

We started getting channel_not_found when inviting users with the Slack action to private conversations. We are using the new (non-deprecated) slack actions. This was working fine until last night.

14 REPLIES 14

deepak23shastri
Workato employee
Workato employee

Will and I have been trying to figure it out and managed to identify its the same behavior for both Private and Public channel

jeff-sutton
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

What's interesting is if you do a custom API call conversations.list with limit of 999 and types private_channel - the newly channel doesn't even show up. Even though (in our case) the user created the channel (and is obviously a member).

ajorde
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Occasionally when you add a new member to a private slack channel, Slack will create a brand new channel id and the original connection will be lost, even if you were referencing the channel by name. Slack must still keep the original channel somewhere but not allow it to be accessible.

Because of this, I always reference the channel id for slack rather than the channel name. I get the channel id by opening Slack in the browser and copying it from the url. I store IDs for my channels in a lookup table so that if this happens, it's easy to update the ID in any recipe/process that references that channel.

Interestingly, if you tag users in slack threads, and a user has changed their handle, a similar issue occurs - the ID seems to change in the background so user lookups via slack api don't always give the info you need.

deepak23shastri
Workato employee
Workato employee

ryan-stewart
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

you may also be able to fix this by reinviting the slack bot to the channel.