cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Governance

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

How do other organizations handle governance of Workato? Some of the challenges we're running into...

1) Since we're limited by the number of connections (for billing purposes), we can only have a certain number of integrations. We hit that max. I think this is about to lead to some kind of "prioritization" of certain integrations/projects over others as far as being able to leverage Workato or not. Do others have to deal with that too? If so, how do you "pick" what gets to use Workato?

2) We use the API Platform so recipes can be called via REST. But with the max concurrency of 5, that seems super-tiny for an API. At first I thought excess requests would queue up like it does for webhooks and polling recipes, but it doesn't; they return a 429 (rate/quota limit exceeded) error. So perhaps integrations that involve using a REST API should be down-graded b/c of these limitations?

3) Using multiple Workato Teams or a single team -- we were implemented with 3 different Workato teams, dev/test/prod. I recently saw another organization who had everything in 1 team. They had Dev/Test/Prod folders within that team to segregate. Their recipe lifecycle management becomes infinitely easier than ours, but maybe separate teams allows for tighter change management controls? I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences/insight into this.

Thanks all

2 REPLIES 2

jayesh
Workato employee
Workato employee

Hi Mike - Antonio, your CSM will reach out to you schedule time for us to discuss and work the best approches for addressing the different aspects.

mike-flynn1
Deputy Chef II
Deputy Chef II

Hey Mike, great questions.

1. Workato Intake/Prioritization - problably the toughest challenge for any technology team. One approach we took to address this is to focus on the value of the integration/automation that was being proposed (Workato has a great training on the academy for continuous value reporting). This was a good activity for us to do on 2 fronts - first to justify our budget requests and provide value statements to our CIO/CFO and to highlight the value of the automation teams, and secondly to make our stakeholders think about the value of partnering with the automation team (and we could sometimes use it for prioritization). We would often tie new connections or groups of recipes to larger business goals (whatever pushed the larger company goals further got priority, and we often had to work with our stakeholders to get their VP behind the project to get prioritization - great for visibility and for knowing what was really important). The shortest answer to prioritization is that we had a steering committee and agile scrum teams that prioritized their backlog, but we couldn't rely on that because each stakeholder thought their project should have priority. In the end our Workato teams got the final say on what got prioritized and hopefully we gave our CIO enough justification that he would back us up.

2. We had some API endpoints that got blasted with requests, and I am under the impression that they got queued up. Do you have rate monitoring setup for the api access profile (maybe that's the issue?). Some of our API endpoints were hit at specific times based on scheduled tasks from our products, and I know that the recipe would process requests for an hour or more to get through all the requests at those "burst" periods. I don't know exactly how the product teams called the API endpoints, perhaps they were handling the exceptions on their end but they certainly never mentioned it to me.

3. We have 4 different workato workspaces (Dev, Test, Stage, Prod) and 4 different teams using them. Only our Workato admins have access to production to make changes. We do have specific folders for each team and their team profiles could only access their own folders. Moving recipes between environments is a chore, but we also keep a JSON copy of every recipe in GitHub. We have a step in our Jira workflow (we use Jira to monitor development stories) to export the JSON and attach it to the Jira for the admin to deploy it to production (which also allowed us to ensure all SOX compliance, testing, and sign-offs were completed). I would love for Workato to allow easier comparison of recipes between environments and to be able to push recipes from one workspace to another and I think they have mentioned this for future roadmaps. We don't really use the manifests except as a means to get the JSON to move between environments.