Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSON - Select Parent Field

GarethMHC
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Hi All,

I've tried to find an answer to this one but haven't had success.  I have the below JSON structure (with roughly 5,000 records) returned from an API.

{
"employees": [
{
"/work/employeeIdInCompany": {
"value": 654321
},
"work": {
"employeeIdInCompany": 654321
},
"id": "32184129999999999999"
},
{
"/work/employeeIdInCompany": {
"value": 123456
},
"work": {
"employeeIdInCompany": 123456
},
"id": "3218412688888888888"
},
]
}

What I need to do is pull the longer ID field where the employeeIdInCompany value matches the current search criteria.  For example, where the employeeIdInCompany is 123456, I need to pull 3218412688888888888 from the above JSON.

I know how to use where and pluck where the search item is at or above the level of the field to be pulled, but at a bit of a loss where the search item is nested like this.

Thank You

Gareth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gary1
Executive Chef III
Executive Chef III

It's a bit of an eyesore, but this is about as elegant as Ruby can do it. Ugly or not, it works and it's a single action.

It assumes a few things:

1. Each object in your "employees" array will always have a "work" object with an "employeeIdInCompany" value.
  2. Each object will always have an "id" value.
  3. Each "employeeIdInCompany" value is unique and will not repeat in the array.

If those three assumptions are okay, then this will probably work for you.

I put your sample payload in a logger message and accessed it from there. Assume "message" in the below is a data pill containing your sample data. If you already have a data pill for "employees", you can just use that instead of "message["employees"]"

message["employees"][message["employees"].pluck("work").pluck("employeeIdInCompany").find_index(123456)]["id"]

It should look like this:

where.png

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

gary1
Executive Chef III
Executive Chef III

It's a bit of an eyesore, but this is about as elegant as Ruby can do it. Ugly or not, it works and it's a single action.

It assumes a few things:

1. Each object in your "employees" array will always have a "work" object with an "employeeIdInCompany" value.
  2. Each object will always have an "id" value.
  3. Each "employeeIdInCompany" value is unique and will not repeat in the array.

If those three assumptions are okay, then this will probably work for you.

I put your sample payload in a logger message and accessed it from there. Assume "message" in the below is a data pill containing your sample data. If you already have a data pill for "employees", you can just use that instead of "message["employees"]"

message["employees"][message["employees"].pluck("work").pluck("employeeIdInCompany").find_index(123456)]["id"]

It should look like this:

where.png

Hope this helps!

GarethMHC
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Awesome, that worked a treat, thank you!