Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pagination - Box, Dropbox, Google Sheet, Google Drive, Lookup Tables, etc

gordonhuworkato
Workato employee
Workato employee

Hey Pros,

Want to get a sense how you deal with pagination. For me, my approach is to leverage CSV in Box/Dropbox to park the data there + append CSV via callable recipes.

Box: nice that I can hard code the file id, which doesnโ€™t change if the file path changes

Dropbox: have to hard cod file path. If the path changes, then it breaks. (feature request please)

Lookup table: there is no bulk upload, so an additional repeat action is required to put data there (feature request please ๐Ÿ˜€)

Google Drive: it seems to allow uploading multiple files with the same name (huh....?). I guess I am coming from the Box user experience and shocked to see this.

Google Sheet: not a fan of it but happy to see if anyone uses it. What do u use it for?

Thanks pros for sharing your experience. Have a nice week!

Gordon

4 REPLIES 4

ben-urbanski
Workato employee
Workato employee

Hello Gordon,

I assume youโ€™re trying to get all records from an API that requires you to make multiple paginated requests. How many total records do you need to get?

Regards,

gordonhuworkato
Workato employee
Workato employee

Hello, we have close to 2000 Okta users. Right now I use one master recipe + two callable to call each other.

Gordon 

ben-urbanski
Workato employee
Workato employee

Thanks, Gordon.

If I wanted to accumulate all of a paginated APIโ€™s records in a single recipe using only Workato features, I would begin by using a Workato list (which can have up to 50,000 items). You can actually concatenate two lists together in a single step with a Ruby action as demonstrated in this recipe, https://app.workato.com/recipes/1456290?st=13ab59, so you wouldnโ€™t have to iterate through every record in a page to add them to the accumulated list one at a time.

Another approach would be to use Workato collections (which can have up to 50,000 records), https://docs.workato.com/features/collection.html, which are essentially in memory database tables that last for the duration of a job. Collections require the ETL/ELT Bulk Data Processing platform add-on.

Regards,

Hmn...whoa... their opened a new world for me. I am going to try the Ruby trick definitely.

By the way, sometimes parking the data elsewhere like Box may not be a bad idea either. This way, other recipes could also use it - if it doesnโ€™t mind a slightly dated data

So, with your proposed method, it would be

1. Master recipe to do initial call, send the list to callable one

2. Callable one: received the next URL, list from master, make another call, Concat the two list and call callable 2

3. Callable 2: do exact the same thing

โ€”
Not vetted but...I will give it a try ๐Ÿ˜