cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Retry with exponential backoff

jason1
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Hi, is there a simple way to build in exponential backoff when hit with a rate limit API error? The error handling step allows for retries, but there doesn't seem to be a way to set custom wait intervals in between tries.

Perhaps something that can be implemented with the new Wait step, but curious how others have tackled this.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

jonar-ramos
Workato employee
Workato employee

Hi Jason. This is Jonar, we worked on a couple of implementations last year.

So there are a lot of good answers here. I would just like to add that one thing we felt worked well was to let a callable recipe handle the error handling and retry logic. This callable can work independently and decide on the proper logic according to what kind of error you experienced in the main recipe and some qualifiers you can set into a lookup table, with which you can decide if you should rerun it immediately, wait for a specified amount of time, or stop rerunning when you reach a certain number. You then use the recipe ops action to rerun the job you identified.

Honestly, it will need a bit of design and prep work, and this is mostly done as part of a holistic error handling framework for all your recipes. but we found that once the initial hurdle of setting it up is completed, it is well worth the effort.