cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Task Usage planning

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

Now that we're using the Task-Based billing model, I feel like I need to create a spreadsheet of some sort to track the current/predicted task consumption of our existing recipes, but also for projected usage for new recipes coming in the pipeline. That way we can have some kind of visibility to what's coming and if we've got enough tasks to handle it all. Also to include approximate costs of new recipes to ensure that the benefit is worth the cost in Tasks.

But... maybe someone else has already had to tackle this? How are others managing/planning their development with tasks in mind?

2 REPLIES 2

michael-siegel
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Following! We also use the task based model and the way we currently do things is I ask my customers to estimate how many times they might use a certain workflow monthly, then I multiply that by the expected number of tasks in the recipe.๏ฟผ That becomes a starting point for an annual estimated task number, the cost of which we pass onto the customer. Hope that helps a little! Right now we are in the early stages so still working stuff out, and each recipe is pretty much bespoke at this point.๏ฟผ

edi-yanto
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

We also use the task based model and the usage of tasks is under control, if you can design and use the tasks optimization approach and strategies well.

Based on my experience while developing recipes using the following techniques:

- tasks optimization approach (identify and predictive tasks consumption (measure tasks consumption for every recipe) which will lead us to design a recipe for optimal use of tasks by implementing strategies/features in Workato)

- tasks optimization strategies

a. polling frequency, bulk/batch trigger/action (upsert batch), delta sync, collections, variable declaration/grouping, etc.)

b. Custom SDK, combined with the Multi-threaded action will help you optimize the tasks usage which allow you to send requests in parallel across multiple threads (only 1 task) and Multistep action.

With this multi-threaded action feature, it really helps save the task of calling REST API / SOAP Web Service which is only for a single transaction, because 500 calls are not counted as 500 tasks but only 1 task.