cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tasks per Jobs as a KPI?

jblanchett
Deputy Chef III
Deputy Chef III

Does anyone set target zones for task to job ratios? I'm wondering if this is a useful metric to track. On one side, if jobs > tasks, that means that many jobs are running, but performing no work. On the other hand, a high tasks/jobs ratio could indicate monolithic recipes, but are more likely to indicate high volume jobs processing individual records within a for each loop. Therefore, I'm thinking the higher the tasks/job the better, as long as you can address monolithic recipes somehow. 

Curious to hear other folks thoughts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

In a review with Workato, they said they like to see jobs using less than 10 tasks per execution as a general rule of thumb.  That's also assuming that these recipes are trigger-based and being executed frequently throughout the day.  Obviously, if this is a batch job that just runs once per day, that guideline would change.  I'd like to get the point where we have a sense for how many tasks we're consuming from each recipe or project, then as new integration requests come in we could estimate the task usage and make a decision based on the cost/benefit analysis and how many tasks we have remaining.

But... we're not even close to that.  We've had some conversations with Workato about some tooling in that area.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

In a review with Workato, they said they like to see jobs using less than 10 tasks per execution as a general rule of thumb.  That's also assuming that these recipes are trigger-based and being executed frequently throughout the day.  Obviously, if this is a batch job that just runs once per day, that guideline would change.  I'd like to get the point where we have a sense for how many tasks we're consuming from each recipe or project, then as new integration requests come in we could estimate the task usage and make a decision based on the cost/benefit analysis and how many tasks we have remaining.

But... we're not even close to that.  We've had some conversations with Workato about some tooling in that area.

Thanks @mppowe ! 10 seems low, but maybe a good guideline for "steps" - not including for each loop executions. 

mroldanvega
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

10 seems very low to me as well. 

@jblanchett how are you mining the data? As part of an ongoing project I am trying to identify recipes that have jobs but have less than normal (or none) tasks, so I was just curious.