cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Data Limit of Input Parameters between Recipe and Recipe Function?

alarochelle
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Hi all - Just curious if anyone has encountered data size limits when passing data from a recipe to a recipe function? Or if anyone knows if a limit is documented? 

For context, I'm passing text file contents downloaded from an SFTP server from a recipe to a recipe function in one of the input parameters. I need to make sure that the entire file is included when the recipe function is called.

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Per aspera ad astra.

3 REPLIES 3

gary1
Executive Chef III
Executive Chef III

I don't know if there's a specific limit, but I've definitely run into dispatch errors on both recipes and actions when handling large data. If you need to move a file between recipes,  I recommend uploading it somewhere (Workato files, AWS S3, Box, etc.) and passing the URL as input.

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

Agree with @gary1 on stashing the file elsewhere and passing the reference,  Though I got annoyed doing that in some cases bc then I'm pulling the file from a file repository only to stash it in another repository to pull from later.

I did inquire into this question with Workato support in the past b/c of similar needs, and I was told 50 MB is the request limit to be passed around.  So if you're smaller then that you should be ok, but if there's a chance it'll scale beyond that then you may want to look into offloading it.

alarochelle
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

@gary1  @gary1 The approach makes sense. Files shouldn't exceed 50 MB but we're storing them someplace anyway. Rearranged my steps a bit. Much appreciated!