cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sharepoint File Search w/ Wildcards

tm_argon
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

We're trying to use the "Search Files" action from the Sharepoint app and can't seem to figure out how to search for keywords across *all* files in the specified directory.

Here's the issue. When we set up the parameters for the action, one of them is "File search method". We've selected "Regular Search".

We've also specified a valid starting folder in Sharepoint.

Under the "File name" parameter, we're using "*" as we want to search *all* files in the directory.

We're then passing in (via data pill) the keyword we're searching in the "search text" field.

When executing this search, we never gets results back, despite us knowing that there are indeed documents with that keyword in their content.

The only way we can get results back is if we specify some sort of keyword in the "file name" parameter along with our wildcard.

For example, let's say we have documents in Sharepoint that contain the word "Workato". Some of the documents have that word within their content but not the filename whereas some have it in both.

If we use these parameters:

- File Name == *

- Search Text == workato

We will NOT get results back. However, if we use:

- File Name == *workato*

- Search Text == workato

we will *but* the results will only be the documents that have workato in the filename and the content.

We want to search all documents, regardless of whether or not the keyword is somewhere in the file name.

We've tried all sorts of variations on the "File name" parameter to try to get this to work:

- *, **, *%%*, *%*, you name it, we tried it

but nothing seemed to make this work.

Would appreciate some pointers here. Thanks!

- Terence

1 REPLY 1

gary1
Executive Chef III
Executive Chef III

I poked around and couldn't find a solution using the existing actions. You should be able to crack this by creating a better QueryTemplate object in the request (one without the Filename key, I think).

I suggest using the custom action to construct the API call and payload yourself.