Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jira dynamic fields

jeff-sutton
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Hey Workatos,

Has anybody done anything interesting with Jira and Workato to somehow create a dynamic experience? For example, I'd love to have dynamic custom Jira fields based on values in a lookup table. I'd like to figure something out for this for two reasons - 1) I think it's pretty tedious to update Slack Workbot dalogs to match up with Jira fields per specific issue type. 2) I'd love for Jira to stay in-sync with what we're doijng in Workato. For example, if we have a request type in Jira for "software request" we'd love for it to webhook back to workato and pull from a table that has a list of our approved software.

I know this is possible beause so far I've found everything possible with Workato - I just spend way too much time on the creative side and if somebody already has a solution, it would be great to see it ๐Ÿ™‚

3 REPLIES 3

gordonhuworkato
Workato employee
Workato employee

Havenโ€™t tested it, but this may be what you need - update a recipe via API

https://docs.workato.com/workato-api/recipes.html

wotching
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Hey Jeff ๐Ÿ™‚

To make dialogs reflect the current field values on the fly, you could look up the current values of the custom field using Jira Rest API, and iterate in your workato recipe.

As for having Jira refer to an external source of truth for custom field options... I haven't done this myself, but you could look at add-ons that allow you to create special fields whose options refer to an external source of truth. These fields might come with certain limitations.

Another approach, ONLY if you're using Jira Cloud, you could have some kind of trigger to update the Jira field thru rest API: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issue-custom-field-options/#api-rest-api-3-field-fieldid-context-contextid-option-put

jeff-sutton
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Will Balson man you da best ๐Ÿ™‚