Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Logger Mechanism

bhavesh-patel
Deputy Chef III
Deputy Chef III

Hey Everyone,

Can anyone guide me on how to implement the logger mechanism in Workato?

I have used Logger By Workato. Now my end goal is to maintain all these logs with every job execution so that I can identify errors for par jobs.

13 REPLIES 13

Mike Power Yeah we swapped task-based for recipe-based billing around 2 years ago because it was demanding compromises in 'build quality' as you try to keep the amount of tasks down.

Also made it impossible predict how much it was going to consume because it can differ so much per month.

It's defintely more expensive but less time in troubleshooting and other quality enhancers reduce costs.

Steven Marissens I wish we had that input before we just signed a renewal for 3 years that switched from connection-based to task-based. I had advocated some for Recipe-Based b/c it seemed better to me, but I think Workato prefers customers on task-based. At least that's the vibe I got and the pricing seemed to favor it.

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

Be careful of using your valuable Tasks b/c the Logger step counts as a Task. And using Lookup tables can work but remember they cap out at 10,000, so make sure you're not going to exceed that. But another thought here is that Workato has a way to feed your job history log to an enterprise logging solution of yours, called "Audit Log Streaming" (https://docs.workato.com/job-history-replication.html#audit-log-streaming). We do that with Splunk right now, though we're still working through the kinks b/c it dumps everything into 1 line as JSON, which is currently getting truncated and makes it hard to read ๐Ÿ™‚ So we still need to work through that, but it sure SEEMS useful...!

jayesh
Workato employee
Workato employee

Bhavesh - every job execution of a recipe by deault includes a full trace or input/output and errors at triiger and every action step in the recipe. So you get a log by default. As others have suggested you can catch errors and do automated recovery using try catch - including sending alerts/notifications (email, Slack, etc.) or even opening tickets in the appropriate ticketing system (ServiceNow, Jira, etc.).

We also have best practice guidance around error handling - this is available as the Autonomous Operations Framework (AOF): https://www.workato.com/the-connector/introducing-automation-accelerators/

Please take a look at AOF and then let us know if that addresses your requirements.