cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No input for dynamic content for Sendgrid HTML email templates - workaround?

kdub
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Have two screenshots below to illustrate but in brief - it seems like the Workato app for Sendgrid doesn't have the ability to relay dynamic content for use in HTML email templates hosted on Sendgrid. Ideally you'd be able to use a Workato datapill to merge data into these Sendgrid-hosted HTML email templates, which have handlebars-style syntax for accepting these dynamic inputs.

1) Am I missing something? 2) Anyone have a good workaround? (Assuming just using an HTTP action to call the REST API directly).

Screenshot 1 - inputs available on Sendgrid app email action (even if you expand to include optional, there's no input for dynamic email content where one could use a data pill)

https://app.screencast.com/ccZ3UuFlEJloO?tab=Details&conversation=8mlIJhtYWKXCSQUI7oUX5W

Screenshot 2 - how Sendgrid lets you insert that dynamic email content in a REST API call

https://app.screencast.com/CusqXRevfdMfL?tab=Details&conversation=0bGkBVVDqECFixb1M3YODq

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

gary1
Executive Chef II
Executive Chef II

Check the "optional fields" section to see if it's present but just hidden. Maybe it's there?

Years ago I used the HTTP action so I could construct the SendGrid payload myself. I see the official connector also has a custom action you can use to do the same.

View solution in original post

gary1
Executive Chef II
Executive Chef II

The SendGrid connector has a "custom action" option during set up. If you're unfamiliar with custom actions, they allow you to construct your own API call and handle the authentication using whatever connection you've chosen. Custom actions function almost identically to the standard Workato HTTP action.

You could use this to call SendGrid "manually". Using it will allow you to work around the limitation of the "Send email" action, but it's a little more work and requires more understanding of the SendGrid API (which I recall being pretty straightforward).

gary1_1-1711041208726.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

gary1
Executive Chef II
Executive Chef II

Check the "optional fields" section to see if it's present but just hidden. Maybe it's there?

Years ago I used the HTTP action so I could construct the SendGrid payload myself. I see the official connector also has a custom action you can use to do the same.

kdub
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Thx for quick reply Gary! Yeah, nothing in the optional fields.

To make sure I understand your final sentence - in the official connector I don't actually see a way to construct that portion (the dynamic fields to populate the Sendgrid email template) of the Sendgrid payload. In essence, I suspect there'd need to be an input field/array called "dynamic template data" adjacent to the other input fields in the connector. But let me know if I'm missing something / misinterpreting your reply.

gary1
Executive Chef II
Executive Chef II

The SendGrid connector has a "custom action" option during set up. If you're unfamiliar with custom actions, they allow you to construct your own API call and handle the authentication using whatever connection you've chosen. Custom actions function almost identically to the standard Workato HTTP action.

You could use this to call SendGrid "manually". Using it will allow you to work around the limitation of the "Send email" action, but it's a little more work and requires more understanding of the SendGrid API (which I recall being pretty straightforward).

gary1_1-1711041208726.png

kdub
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Ah, I catch your drift. Yep, this seems like the way to go. (And I agree with your assessment of Sendgrid's API - friendly/well-documented.) Thx again Gary!