cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RecipeOps?

jessica-lie
Workato employee
Workato employee

[Dec 12, 2020] Mike Power (CRM Enterprise Architect at American University) posted:

Hey all,

I’m curious what kinds of RecipeOps you’re using?  Any best practices/recommendations around them?

The only things that jumped out to me thus far were making sure critical ones were running or notifying us if a job fails unexpectedly (eg exceeds 90 minute timeout).

2 REPLIES 2

jessica-lie
Workato employee
Workato employee

[Dec 18, 2020] Mike Flynn (Principal Software Engineer at Rapid7) replied:

We are heavy users of RecipeOps.  Workato has the ability to build automations across our systems and our teams, but RecipesOps is the best way for me to automate my own job and responsibilities with managing our Workato environment!

Here are some ways that we are using RecipeOps:

1. Not all recipes have to run all the time.  In a few cases we have a recipe that will turn on a bunch of recipes, complete a job, then turn the recipes back off.  An example of this is generating 1099s at the end of the year.  We have 1 recipe that listens for a slack command to initiate the creation of 1099s, that recipe then starts the other 20 recipes that gather the information and do the calculations, and when the 1099s are finished being generated all the recipes are turned back off automatically.
  2. As you mentioned, tracking recipe or particular job failures and using automation to resolve the issue or raise notifications.  Particularly useful when building failed job recovery that exists outside the original recipe.  We have used this in the past when the failed job can't be automatically solved at run time.  For an example, when you can't migrate an order from Salesforce to NetSuite because the AE does not have the right role assigned in NetSuite.  Once the role assignment is fixed in NetSuite, we can then find all the failures related to that role assignment and automatically rerun the failed jobs.  This pattern is very useful in large scale data migrations like when we merge Salesforce orgs due to acquisitions.
  3. Capturing a list of successful jobs.  We use this for when we want to take an action on a set of jobs that completed over a time period (i.e. get a list of all customers that have made a specific API call in the past 24 hours and check their API usage).  Using recipeops and the job history table, we can do more detailed reporting and analysis into jobs.

I'm definitely forgetting about other examples, but hopefully this list helps 🙂

jessica-lie
Workato employee
Workato employee

[Dec 18, 2020] Amlan Debnath (VP Global Field Operations and Customer Success at Workato) replied:

Hi Mike,

There are many uses of recipeops. I think we did a webinar on it, Tridi might know.

The common use cases are ...

- job failure notification- job failure routed to error handling recipe (which can log to a db or database, handle the error based on type

- rerun, alert a certain group, raise the alarm based on a threshold etc.)

- Stop all recipes (in order) in case of planned downtime at your end

- Restart all recipes (in order)

- Periodically check for status of recipes to make sure they are running and active (and restart them if they are not)

- You could link some of these to slack to get notifications and take actions from slack

Others in the community may have used it for different use cases as well