cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API without authentication

bboren
Deputy Chef III
Deputy Chef III

Is it possible to implement an API that does not require credentials?  Ultimately, I would like to implement a GET call with query parameters through a hyperlink.  I want that to return a custom HTML response to the user.

I can't seem to get past the authentication requirement though.

Has anyone done anything similar?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

Yes you can use the HTTP connector and specify no authentication in the connector details. 

View solution in original post

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

Ah, I see, sorry for the misunderstanding.  I've used Workato's "webhook" trigger for that same purpose... it provides an API endpoint that can be called without authentication to serve as a notification endpoint of a change being made elsewhere.  The webhook wizard is pretty good, where it gives you the endpoint and then listens.  Meanwhile you go to the other system and generate the call, and Workato "detects" it and generates the input schema for you.

The part I'm not familiar with is generating an HTML response.  Mine doesn't give a response beyond the 200 Ok, and their doc looks like it's not meant to give much more.

And the API Platform, if you have that module, doesn't have an authentication-less option.  But it can just use an Auth Token in plain text so you can "approximate" no authentication?  😀  My responses for those have always been JSON.  It looks like the Content Type options are JSON and Text/Xml, so I'm not sure HTML would be supported.  I'd ask Support to be sure on that one.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Hi @bboren ,

This is Marlon from the support team.
HTTP Webhook doesn't have a configurable response, unlike API Platform. However, the API Platform requires authentication.

7 REPLIES 7

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

Yes you can use the HTTP connector and specify no authentication in the connector details. 

bboren
Deputy Chef III
Deputy Chef III

Thanks for the reply.  I think I did not word my post right.  I am not trying to create an outbound API call.  I want to support an inbound API call.  Essentially I want to replace a webhook and provide a custom response that is HTML. So I want the call to trigger my recipe when another system calls it.

The HTML trigger seemed to perform an HTML call on a schedule. Not support an inbound call.

mppowe
Executive Chef I
Executive Chef I

Ah, I see, sorry for the misunderstanding.  I've used Workato's "webhook" trigger for that same purpose... it provides an API endpoint that can be called without authentication to serve as a notification endpoint of a change being made elsewhere.  The webhook wizard is pretty good, where it gives you the endpoint and then listens.  Meanwhile you go to the other system and generate the call, and Workato "detects" it and generates the input schema for you.

The part I'm not familiar with is generating an HTML response.  Mine doesn't give a response beyond the 200 Ok, and their doc looks like it's not meant to give much more.

And the API Platform, if you have that module, doesn't have an authentication-less option.  But it can just use an Auth Token in plain text so you can "approximate" no authentication?  😀  My responses for those have always been JSON.  It looks like the Content Type options are JSON and Text/Xml, so I'm not sure HTML would be supported.  I'd ask Support to be sure on that one.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

bboren
Deputy Chef III
Deputy Chef III

Thank you.  Ultimately, I want someone to be able to click a hyperlink to call a webhook and have it respond with something better than {"ok"}.  I want something simple like "Your request was processed." or "Your request failed".  Everything is there for the webhook other than being able to change the response.