cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sending emails in Workato

wotching
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Open ended question - We are interested in building a way to send emails using Workato. We would prefer to avoid using Google Workspace / Gmail connection, due to security/compliance friction. And the "Email by Workato" doesn't fit our requirements since we'd like to send from an internal address

Has anyone successfully set up an SMTP server connection with Workato to send emails? What does that process look like? Or do you send emails using Workato using another way?

The use case we have in mind is to send a weekly Change digest to a group of people. The recipe would search our Jira tickets for upcoming Change Control tickets, and summarize the information in an email.

Appreciate any insight anyone can share. Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

bud
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I
Have not done it but some vendors have rest APIs for sending email (sendgrid, mailchimp).  Would that help?  -- Bud

wotching
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Appreciate all the insight! We already have a daily slack digest which has been met with great feedback. We decided email would be more appropriate for the weekly digest, due to the audiences involved.

We plan to have the Jira ticket approvals go to team directors in slack, as well.

Thanks all, will look into whether we have an existing email vendor that would be
easy to tap into. If anyone has done a custom solution with SMTP, would love to hear about it

gliddell
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Can you expand on what the friction is with using GMail? I am interested to understand why GMail would be a point of friction for your compliance team but something like SendGrid would not. Thanks.

wotching
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Sendgrid would require a review just like connecting Gmail would. Entering into speculation territory, I imagine connecting a Gmail account may provide Read access to existing emails in the account that is connected, whereas sendgrid might not?

In any case, if we invest time in doing a review, it would probably be for Gmail. When connecting Gmail, it is best practice to be signed in as a service account right?

gordonhuworkato
Workato employee
Workato employee

Or maybe โ€ฆ simply use workatoโ€™s built in Mail connector. Just that the mail will be sent to mailer@workato.com

Or use workato to send to a Gmail and then have mail flow rule to relay.

Friday crazy thoughts ๐Ÿ˜Ž