cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPA: Excel connectivity

jelle-vanloock
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

I noticed that Workato offers a build-in functionality to connect to Excel. However, this features includes a connection to oneDrive, Sharepoint or Google Drive. This is not what I want to achieve...

I want to read an Excel file from an on-premises system. Does anyone has an idea to solve my problem? Or will a new feature request be the answer?

19 REPLIES 19

tco
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I
Thanks for the information.

On my side, using the Excel connector I was able to parse correctly the file that that was saved on my OneDrive. 

Have a nice weekend,

Thierry

Thierry Cools
Managing Partner

Mail/Skype: tco@pse.be
Tel:      +32 2 790 25 00
Fax:     +32 2 790 25 00
Mobile:  +32 495 29 05 25

Avenue Franklin Roosevelt, 104 Bte 11, 1332 Rixensart - Belgium

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission.

tco
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I
Hi Jelle,

I have been testing the JavaScript Recipe that you sent me, and it is working fine. 

Of course, it works if you know the format of the XLS file. I did a short POC with a spreadsheet having 2 column with Products information and the result was fine, it was converted in a correct CSV.

I hope it solved your issue too,

Thierry

Thierry Cools
Managing Partner
Mail/Skype: tco@pse.be
Tel: +32 2 790 25 00
Fax: +32 2 790 25 00
Mobile: +32 495 29 05 25

www.platinum-services-europe.com

Avenue Franklin Roosevelt, 104 Bte 11, 1332 Rixensart - Belgium

jelle-vanloock
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Thierry,

I was not able to test it yet, due to my yearly holiday period. I will try it as soon as possible.

Based on your answer, my expectations are high!

jelle-vanloock
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Thierry,

I'm trying to use the trigger 'On Prem Files - new file in folder' but it is not working on my end. Did you change anything in the JS action?

Error message: Line input evaluation error in js_eval. Error calculating input for field 'file_content': undefined method `encode_base64' for #<Workato::Types::InputStreamProxy:0x00007fa13e422818>.

jelle-vanloock
Deputy Chef I
Deputy Chef I

Just a quick FYI for everyone in the community: above solution is working. BUT it is necessary to add the method '.to_s' when using On-Prem Files.

An additional point: when the Excel has some filters applied or calculated fields, this will become an issue: filters are getting discarded for example.

Found my solution over here: https://app.workato.com/recipes/1396791