cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Format SQL Results into Email

dunncrew
Deputy Chef III
Deputy Chef III

Hi, In my recipe, I am selecting 2 columns from a SQL table, and want to put the results in the body of an email.  I get results, but they look like this:

{"rows"=>[{"datetimeoftxn_b5896cc8"=>"2023-10-09 13:59:23.797000000", "listoutput_0ec6e5e5"=>"Test_Last_Name1, Test_First_Name1, Test_Door_Name1                                                  "},

{"datetimeoftxn_b5896cc8"=>"2023-10-09 13:59:23.797000000", "listoutput_0ec6e5e5"=>"Test_Last_Name2, Test_First_Name2, Test_Door_Name2                                                        "}]}                                         

I just want the data in my email like this:

2023-10-09 13:59       Test_Last_Name1, Test_First_Name1, Test_Door_Name1  

2023-10-09 13:59       Test_Last_Name2, Test_First_Name2, Test_Door_Name2

The 2 SQL Columns are datetime and nchar. What's the best way to get just the data in my email ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

gary1
Executive Chef III
Executive Chef III

I'd recommend using a message template to format the data into a nicely formatted HTML table, and then insert the table into the email body.  You'll need to brush on HTML for the formatting and mustache for the parsing in the message template, but it's definitely worth the effort -- especially if you may need to create more emails in the future.

View solution in original post

gary1
Executive Chef III
Executive Chef III

For step 8, replace "Step 5 Output" with Step 5 Message. IMO it's very rare that you will use the "Step # Output" directly. You generally want to use the data pills within the step's output.

Anyway, switching gears: let's try something different.

First, make a variable list:

gary1_3-1696971373563.png

By doing this, you now have the ability to parse and transform (clean up) the values as they go into the list:

gary1_6-1696971894181.png

Using to_time makes the date string a date object and then using strftime converts it back to a string using the specified formatting. Using strip on the output removes leading/trailing whitespace characters.

Now that it's cleaned up, you can pluck/to_csv and it'll be a lot closer to what you want in your email, but I still recommend using a message template! It's only a few extra steps from here.

gary1_7-1696972119233.png

gary1_5-1696971790068.png

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

gary1
Executive Chef III
Executive Chef III

I'd recommend using a message template to format the data into a nicely formatted HTML table, and then insert the table into the email body.  You'll need to brush on HTML for the formatting and mustache for the parsing in the message template, but it's definitely worth the effort -- especially if you may need to create more emails in the future.

dunncrew
Deputy Chef III
Deputy Chef III

Thanks. I have about 1 hour total experience in Workato and HTML, so not familiar with message templates. I will take a look. I hoped I could do something in the Outlook email step to specify just the data.

gary1
Executive Chef III
Executive Chef III

Got it. Learning how to use it will have long term benefits, but here's a quick fix for now.

Make a logger with this formula:

[array_output].pluck('datetimeoftxn_b5896cc8','listoutput_0ec6e5e5').to_csv

to_csv isn't the ideal method to use, but it's the simplest way to get close to what you want:

2023-10-09 13:59:23.797000000,Test_Last_Name1,Test_First_Name1,Test_Door_Name1  

If this is close enough, then you're done. If you want to break it up a bit, you can add this to the formula:

.gsub(',','\t')

This will substitute the commas with tabs to give the text a little more breathing room.

You can insert this logger (or the formula) directly into the body of the email.

If you want to get rid of the timestamp in the date, I would suggest reformatting it on the SQL output.

Otherwise, there are longer ways to do this by creating a list variable and reformatting the SQL data as you add it to the list. Then you can convert the list into readable text for your email body.

dunncrew
Deputy Chef III
Deputy Chef III

is .gsub(',','\t') adding a TAB ?  Is there a way to add a line break to force each record to a new line ?